Bathroom paint colors are so tricky because of the lack of natural light in the bathroom. Nothing can alter a paint color faster than overhead artificial bathroom lighting. When it comes to choosing bathroom paint colors, it is crucial to look at paint cards and samples in the bathroom itself with the lighting. What looks like a safe and neutral warm gray can go peach or mauve instantly under bathroom artificial lighting.
Color adds style, character, and ambience to a room. Get a bathroom color that suits your style and attitude. Here are a few bathroom color ideas and tips for choosing just the right bathroom paint color.
If you’re unsure of what color you would like in your bathroom, the best place to get started is your bathroom flooring. By choosing wall colors that compliment and blend with your flooring, the room will be pulled together and the colors will make sense and the undertones will work (and not fight) with each other once the wall is painted.
- Cool and muted colors send a soothing message. A room dressed in pale blue with gray undertones, for instance, will have a calming effect. Create a spa-like retreat by using moss and sea greens. Colors from earth and nature convey a peaceful, tranquil feeling. To break out of the norm, try periwinkle blue; because it is within the cool spectrum of the color wheel, it maintains a calm mood while adding a color pop.
- Rich, deep colors will make your bathroom feel warm and cozy. Look for hues in the warm spectrum of the color wheel, such as ruby, aubergine, and gold. Envision the colors of wines and Tuscan friezes. Warm colors also support an elegant decorating style.
- Peach, apricot, terra-cotta, and pink tones provide a cozy feeling. In addition, these warm colors are flattering to skin tones.
- Vibrant primary colors energize your room and motivate you. Fill your bathroom with reds, blues, and yellows — as well as bright variations of these hues, such as tangerine and teal — to radiate an upbeat, positive vibe.
- Neutral colors never go out of style. To create a sophisticated look, choose medium-value browns and creams, such as bisque and ivory, that are warm but not overpowering. You can always add color to a neutral palette with linens, accessories, and decorative items.
As you narrow down your paint color choices in the bathroom, it’s best to paint a large poster board with your sample color and and tape it to the wall to see if you like it or if any crazy hues jump out. The poster board trick also can help you better pinpoint the shade of the color that you want or need in that space and if your sample color is too dark or too light, but the undertone is perfect I always recommend sticking with the same paint card and just going one shade up or one shade down.
Turn your bathroom into the retreat of your dreams using these beautiful bathrooms as inspiration. Whether you dream of a soothing bath with spa-like paint colors or a bold bath with a daring color scheme, our gallery of colorful bathrooms is sure to inspire. Browse new and newly renovated baths to find the color palette that fits your style and your home, and see what color palettes are inspiring the top designers. With its small square footage, the bathroom is the perfect place to try bold wallpaper, a bright paint color, or a different decorating style from the rest of your house.